Botanical Name – Solanum indicum
English Name- Poison berry, Bush tomato, African eggplant, Indian nightshade
Hindi Name- Badi kateri, Vanabhanta
Sanskrit Name – Bruhati, Kshudrabhantaki, Simha
Brihati is a spiny (pricky) Single Herb and highly branched perennial shrub, found in warmer, moist and shady places, the tropical parts of India upto an elevation of 1500 m. It has a lot of medicinal properties including anti-inflammatory, anti-asthmatic, analgesic, diuretic and much more.
In Ayurveda, ‘Brihati’ refers to the dried roots of the plant Solanum indicum.
It is one of the 10 roots (comes under Laghupanchamula) of the famous Dashamoola concoction, an excellent formulation for inflammatory conditions. It is extensively used in Ayurvedic treatment for respiratory problems (like asthma, catarrh, dry and spasmodic cough), dropsy, heart diseases, chronic fever, colic, difficulty in urination and worm infestation.
Kanthya – herbs useful in throat disorders.
Hikkanigrahana – herbs useful in treating hiccups.
Shothahara – anti-inflammatory group of herbs.
Angamarda Prashamana – Pain relieving group of herbs.
Sushruta – Bruhatyadi, Lagu Panchamula
Vagbhata – Bruhatyadi
Leaves and roots contain the steroidal alkaloids, solanidine, solanine, and solasodine. Seed Oil contains of glycerides of lauric, stearic, palmitic, arachidic, oleic, linoleic acids together inclusice of phytosterols and carpesterol.
Other constituents include Solanocarpone, Carpesterol, Carotene, B-Sitosterol, Diosogenin, Lanosterol, Solamargine, Vitamin C etc.
Energetics of Brihati
According to Ayurveda
Rasa (taste) – Katu (pungent), Tikta (bitter)
Guna (qualities) – Laghu (light), Rooksha (dry)
Veerya (potency) – Ushna (hot)
Vipaka (taste conversion after digestion) – Katu (pungent)
Effect on Tridoshas : Balances Kapha and Vata Dosha.
Parts Used : Root, Fruit
Deepana – Increases appetite, carminative
Pachana – Improves and aids digestion
Krimighna – Wormicidal
Vatahara – Pacifies Vata dosha
Kaphahara – Pacifies Kapha dosha
Mutral – acts as diuretic
Kanthya – helps in throat related issues
Shothhar – anti-inflammatory
Hrudroga – useful in cardiac disorders
Jwaraapaha – relieves fever
Shwasaapaha – useful in asthma and other chronic respiratory disorders
Mandagni – improve digestion strength
Graahini – absorbent property, useful in diarrhea, IBS
Kushtajit – useful in skin diseases
Vandhyaanaam apathyadaa – useful in treating female infertility
Vatajit – useful in vata disorders
Shukra rechaka – helps in semen ejaculation issues
- Aphrodisiac(arouses sexual instinct)
- Analgesic(pain killer)
- Antipyretic/ febrifuge(prevent or reduce fevers)
- Anti-inflammatory (reduces swelling)
- Diuretic(increase urine content)
- Carminative(relieving flatulence)
- CNS depressant(slows down brain activity)
- Antiasthmatic(relieves the symptoms of asthma)
- Antitussive – (Prevent or relieve a cough.)
- Astringent(causing the contraction of skin cells and other body tissues)
- Antioxidant(prevents or slow damage to cells )
- Anticarcinogenic(cancer protective)
- Antirheumatic(reduces joint & muscle pains)
- Antispasmodic (reduces abdominal pain)
- Anthelmintic – Antiparasitic, removes parasitic worms (helminths) and other internal parasites from the body.
- Anticatarrhal- Removes excess mucous from the body.
- Depurative – Purifying agent.
- Diaphoretic (sweating heavily)
- Expectorant (used to treat coughs.)
- Immunomodulator(modulation of the immune system)
- Neuroprotector (protect the nervous system from injury and damage)
Brihati is widely used in respiratory problems like cold, cough, sore throat, asthma and bronchitis.
Brihati is helpful in treating ringworm, itches, and scabies.
It is helpful in Diarrhea in infants, treating anorexia, indigestion, dysentery, diarrhea, IBS, gas, intestinal worms and mal-absorption syndrome. It also boosts the functioning of the digestive system.
Brihati ( Best herb for heart blockages ) is beneficial in strengthening the cardiac muscles, stimulates and strengthens the heart. It is useful in cardiac disorders and improves overall cardiovascular health too. It also works in Oedema.
It is very effective in treating neurological disorders. It also calms the nervous system.
Brihati can be used effectively in treating gout, rheumatism.
Brihati is commonly used in Urinary tract infections, dysuria, pain, difficulty in urination, less production of urine and urinary calculi.
Brihati boosts uterine contraction, thus is used in treating issues like dysmenorrheal, amenorrhea and diseases related to post-delivery period. It is also used in difficult parturition (difficulty during labor). It is also used to treat female infertility.
- Helpful in relieving abdominal colic pain.
- Treats Alopecia
- Relieves fever, vomiting
- Promotes detoxification
- Useful in relieving toothache, bad breath and removes tongue coating.
- Can help in semen ejaculation problems, improves erection.
- Detoxifies blood
- Used in scorpion bites also
One capsule a day, rest depends upon the ailment and requirement.
Consult a physician before using in pregnancy and for children.
Why Ayurveda24 Brihati ( Single Herbs)?
Concentrated with 250 mg extract of Brihati?
Less dosage – one capsule a day will be sufficient.
We will soon witness the day where Modern Medicine and Herbs (opposite fields of medicine) will work together for the Treatment and Benefit of the human.
CALL US FOR FREE CONSULTATION
WE PUT LIFE INTO LIFE