Diabetes is a group of metabolic diseases in which a person has high blood sugar, either because the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or because cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced.
This high blood sugar produces the classical symptoms of Polyuria (frequent urination), polydypsia (increased thirst) and Polyphagia (increased hunger).
There are three main types of diabetes mellitus (DM).
- Type 1 results from the body’s failure to produce insulin, and currently requires the person to inject insulin or wear an insulin pump. This form was previously referred to as “insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus” (IDDM) or “juvenile diabetes”.
- TYPE 2 results from, Insulin resistance a condition in which cells fail to use insulin properly, sometimes combined with an absolute insulin deficiency. This form was previously referred to as non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or “adult-onset diabetes”.
- The third main form, Gestational Diabetes occurs when pregnant women without a previous diagnosis of diabetes develop a high blood glucose level. It may precede the development of type 2 DM.
How does Ayurveda Have a Role in Controlling Diabetes?
Ayurvedic Medicine has a definite & scientific role in controlling & curing Diabetes type 2 in some of the cases if it is lifestyle induced.
Untreated diabetes can cause many complications. Acute complications include Diabetic Ketoacidosis and Nonketotic hyperosmolar coma. Serious long-term complications include Cardiovascular disease (ischemic heart disease, blockages), Chronic renal failure, and Diabetic Retinopathy (retinal damage). Another risk is Diabetic neuropathy, the impact of diabetes on the Peripheral Nervous System — most commonly causing numbness, tingling, and pain in the feet, and also increasing the risk of skin damage due to altered sensation. Together with vascular disease in the legs, neuropathy contributes to the risk of Diabetic foot.
Ayurveda has the answer to all these problems & we have successfully treated many such cases.
According to Ayurveda, there are 20 forms of Diabetes (Prameha): 4 are due to Vata, 6 results from Pitta and 10 are caused by Kapha. But Diabetes (Prameha) is mainly Kapha doshaja disease. All forms of diabetes if not treated, eventually develop into Madhumeha (Diabetes Mellitus).
Management of Prameha (Madhumeha)
According to Ayurveda, the line of treatment of prameha is strictly on the individual’s constitution.
1) The Prakriti of the patient
2) Dosha predominance of disease
3) Dooshya vitiation
4) Obstruction in srothus
5) Manasika Prakruti
6) Ahara & Vihara
7) Hereditary factors
Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes involves some basic medication and lifestyle management programs. ayurvedic treatment for Diabetes stops the insulin resistance in the body. It Repairs, rejuvenates & revitalizes b cells of the pancreas which are already overburdened due to the use of oral hypoglycemic drugs like Metformin.