Diabetes mellitus represents several diseases in which high blood glucose levels over time can damage the nerves, kidneys, eyes, and blood vessels. Diabetes can also decrease the body’s ability to fight infection. When diabetes is not well controlled, it damages the organs and leads to impairment of the immune system. Foot problems commonly develop in people with diabetes and can quickly become serious. In this blog, we will tell about Ayurvedic Aspect of Diabetic Foot Treatment.
Causes of Diabetic Foot
Ill-fitting shoes become a common cause of diabetic foot problems.
People with poorly controlled diabetes are at risk for damage to the nerves in their feet.
Trauma to the feet
Ayurvedic Treatment for Diabetic Foot
According to Ayurveda diabetic foot can be treated by the following ways:
Diabetes can be controlled with Ayurvedic herbal treatment & supplements. Also, diet & lifestyle management is required to have good control & reversal of diabetes. Normal values for diabetic patients are – Before Meals (FBS) – 70-110 mg/dl, After Meals (PPBS) – less than 150 mg/dl. Ayurvedic herbal supplements for the treatment of diabetes are :
- Basant Kusumakar Ras
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Madhusam powder
- Swaran Shila
- Diabetes Care Tablet
These are some Ayurvedic medicines of choice. These medicines are used according to the individual condition of the patient.
According to Ayurveda, diet and lifestyle play a very important role in the treatment of disease.
- Wake up at around 6 am. Drink 1-2 liters of warm water. This is going to cleanse your stomach and flush out intestinal gas as well.
- Take a proper breakfast on time. Breakfast should be taken before 8 am.
- Take Parantha, Chapati with vegetable, milk/butter milk, rajgeera ladoo.
- Avoid Maggie, poha, sandwich, utapa, pav bhaji, dosa
- Avoid the combination of parantha and milk, parantha and tea. Basically avoid combining milk and salt.
2 hours after Breakfast
- Take fruits like pomegranate, amla, apple, black raisins, dates, fig. These should be a part of daily diet.
- Have salad before the meal
- Take chapati, green vegetables, butter milk according to appetite.
- Avoid curd
- Do not sleep after meals.
- 2 cups of tea can be taken in a day.
- Soups of vegetables, palak can be taken.
- Avoid fruits and salad in the evening.
- Avoid salty snacks with tea.
- Avoid junk food
- Have dinner before 7 pm. Give at least 2 hrs. for food to digest.
- Avoid heavy meals at night.
- Have chapati, vegetables
- Avoid eggs and non-veg. (mutton soup can be taken)
- Avoid curd especially at night.
- Avoid rice, curry
- Avoid dinner after 7 pm
- Use desi cow milk
- Meals timing should be fixed
- Do not sleep during day time
- Do not sleep just after meals
- Do not eat heavy meals in the evening
- Do not wake up late night
- Avoid non-veg
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid alcohol
- Do not take fruits after meal
- Avoid soft drinks
- Do not drink water after meals.
Ayurvedic Wound Management
Wound management can be done by following steps:
Inspection of wound
It may look white in color, warm, swelling, pain, redness. If all these symptoms persist and pus formation is there, then we have to treat accordingly.
Treatment of pus
If pus is formed it can be drained with incision and drainage. The incision is done with Peacock’s feather. Medicines to reduce the formation of pus and its drainage can be used. Ayurvedic Medicines used for drainage of pus are – Triphala guggul, Vang bhasam, Neem powder. These medicines will resist the formation of pus and automatic drainage of pus.
Dressing of wound
Dressing wounds is necessary. According to Ayurveda dressing is done by the following steps:
Cleaning of wound/Dhawan
Dhawan is a deep cleaning of the wound under aseptic precautions and making the wound clean and aseptic with water and medicinal preparations. A wound is cleaned with a decoction made from ayurvedic herbs like Triphala. Make a decoction of Triphala. Let it cool down to room temperature. Then clean the wound carefully with it.
It means fumigation. It has antimicrobial and antifungal action. Dhupan is a method by which herbs-mineral drugs are used for fumigation so as to heal Vrana/wound. Fume is given to the wound with herbal medicines like Triphala guggul, turmeric, Vacha, etc. These medicines are put in a pan to make them warm till the fume is not released. Then that fume is given to wound. It will dry pus and infection.
of the wound is necessary for healing. After cleansing & dhupan use jatyadi oil for the dressing of wound for healing.
Ayurvedic treatment for Diabetic foot is best done at Dr. Aggarwal’s Please call/whatsapp/viber at +918699017567 for any queries.